Stage actors Mariah and Daniel play lovers every night, but their onstage romance lacks spark. One slow afternoon, they discover that today’s matinée performance will make or break both their careers. Daniel wants to make big changes, and Mariah starts to wonder: are Daniel’s suggestions reasonable? Or has he lost track of the boundary between actor and character? Rushed to the stage, in front of a live audience, they must figure it out together.
“Matinée” is a sexually explicit drama intended to bridge the gap between art film and sex film. The film showcases Steven McAlistair (Scotland) and Alicia Whitsover (England) in their first explicit sex roles ever. Matinée takes a fresh look at what erotic film can be. It features an original musical score and careful attention to capturing the real-life sounds of sex. Real, intense and emotional, Matinée is truly erotic film for people who like film.
- Original music by San Francisco collaborative The Unsayable
- “Making-of” documentary by award-winning documentary director Rogier Timmermans — aired on Dutch television
- Fly-on-the-wall footage from the on-stage interview with director Jennifer and star Alicia at the World Premiere
- Behind-the-scenes stills
- Length: 1 hour 20 min (34 min feature+ 50 min exclusive extras)
- Language: English Subtitles: Dutch (optional)
- Rating: Unrated
- Format: 16×9 widescreen, 1024×576, full color, AC3 Dolby Digital sound
- Region: All. Unlimited/region-free. Ships correct DVD format (NTSC/PAL) based on your country.
AWARDS & HONORS
- Five Best Sex Films For Women, Cosmopolitan magazine
- Winner “Best Film,” Melbourne Underground Film Festival
- Winner “Best Film,” CineKink/NYC
- Honorable Mention, Feminist Porn Awards in Toronto
- Official Selection Strasbourg International Film Festival, France
- Official Selection Porn FilmFestival Berlin
- Official Selection Rated X Amsterdam Alternative Erotica Festival
- Official Selection Queer Lisboa Lisbon Gay & Lesbian Film Festival, Portugal
“Bell, an American expat living in Amsterdam, would have been right at home with the ancient (1970s) pornographers like Gerard Damiano and Jackie Treehorn. Her ‘Matinée’ is a high-concept and beautifully shot interlude about feelings and the artist’s process…Yes, the two of them fuck onstage, but it is the leadup and execution that make ‘Matinée’” more than a porn.” — Fleshbot